Its a wonderful life

A place for my random musings!

Sunday, July 09, 2006

The best days of our lives - Part 1

There's a very famous song by Bryan Adams - one of my favourites also - Called Summer of 69. Thats a song that I am sure we all can identify with. Why because - He's talking about the best days of his life. We all have periods like that in our lives where we look back right now and long for them. Thats human nature I guess. We rarely appreciate what we are involved in right now but try to look back and long for those 'golden' days.

I am not saying that those days were not golden. They sure were the best of the best. For me it was 2 years in St Thomas Central School, Trivandrum and 4 years in Bethany Hostel also at Trivandrum during my Engineering degree at the College of Engineering. Those days were cool. Those 2 years at school probably thought me much more than life than I ever have learnt in the rest of my life. Thats how it was. Opening up of a new world. A world away from parents and my bro. I did have my sis along with me who joined over there at the same school - thankfully a different division :P.

Anways - what was so great about st thomas school. I dont know. It was just great. Well not so much the first few weeks. I remember when I was dropped off at the hostel. A spindly 14 year old kid dropped off by his parents at the Stanley Jones Boys Hostel to brave the world on his own. I didnt know it even a few minutes before but then said goodbye and my mom started crying, I could not take it. I cried too. And then ensued a long period of extreme home sickness. Wow thats something that I wouldnt want to wish upon anyone. But sample this : There were kids as old as 5 or 6 years being dropped off my their parents at the junior hostel!Amazing!!...How can kids as young as that bear to be away from their parents and why would parents do that in the first place. Well I suppose that they have their reasons and I dont want to question that.

That was my first days with St Thomas. Boy did I hate that place. Little did I know that these were going to be a few of the happiest years of my life. More details on this place later...!

After school came college. More than college better times were spent at a hostel called Bethany Students Center - A motley crew of teenagers and young adults from various facets of life all joined together to form a very unlikely crowd of hostel mates. Why did I decide to join this college over the CET mens hostel. Well to tell the truth part was the fear of getting ragged by seniors and the other part was that I did know Bethany well having stayed there for my entrance exams and coaching and all that bullshit. Bethany was another place that probably molded me into what I am right now. Not that I am so proud of what I am right now but it could have been worse :P

All the different characters that I have seen over these 2 years in school and 4 years in college. That alone can fill up the rest of the blogs that I am to author. Keep watching this space. You might also be featured in here soon! :))

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter